American Progress seeks a self-starter with strong written and verbal communications skills—as well as an ability to juggle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment—for the position of Associate Director of Foundation Relations. This individual will help American Progress pursue and capitalize on emerging opportunities for foundation funding and will help produce written communications for the organization. The Associate Director will work closely with the Managing Director of Foundation Relations to drive a robust foundation fundraising program designed to increase the amount of support from the organization’s constituency over the next several years. This position is ideal for a deadline-driven, detail-oriented, and well-organized development professional who is committed to a progressive policy agenda.
The Foundation Relations team works with program staff at both the Center for American Progress, a 501(c)(3) organization, and the Center for American Progress Action Fund, a 501(c)(4) organization, in order to become familiar with program content and make the case for support for various programs; conduct ongoing research to identify foundation funding opportunities; collaborate on strategies for approaching foundation prospects; and track all foundation activity and deadlines.
- Implement strategies and activities designed to increase support from existing foundation funders and identify new potential foundation support, working closely with the Managing Director to drive fundraising strategy.
- Research the giving interests of foundation funders and stay abreast of philanthropic trends and recent foundation giving.
- Identify new opportunities for funding that align with American Progress’ programs through prospect research, working closely with the Foundation Relations Coordinator.
- Prepare foundation materials, including but not limited to proposals, letters of inquiry, grant reports, agreements, emails, presentations, and acknowledgment letters. This includes drafting original copy, editing, and formatting as needed.
- Assist with the planning and execution of meetings with foundation staff; research and draft briefings for executive leadership in advance of foundation meetings; and prepare senior staff for foundation meetings and phone calls.
- Partner with American Progress program staff to cultivate relationships with both current and prospective donors and support foundation fundraising on the part of American Progress’ Executive team.
- Track grant requirements and deadlines as well as contact between American Progress and funders.
- Liaise with program and finance staff to monitor grant spending.
- Perform other duties as assigned or needed to move forward American Progress’ foundation relations portfolio.